Next floor up, you get to the 'Evolution Gallery': a procession of stuffed animals ranging from elephants and giraffes to porcupines and teeny monkeys, all striding purposefully as if towards the ark. What's cool is that a lot of them aren't behind glass cases, so you can get right up to them. And touch them, as I saw quite a few children doing, no doubt against the wishes of the museum. Some of the animals had mangy patches through over-patting, but it seems worth it to be able to get so close. (BTW I did not touch them: take nothing but a photo, leave nothing but your footprints - that's me...) On other floors are more animals and birds, massive cases of insects and some beautiful shells. There were swarms of teenagers there on school trips, leaning over me while I did my platypus drawing, which I expect is why it came out a bit too fat.
Having failed to make it to the cabinet of curiousities, on Saturday we went in search of the next item on the list: the metre. I turn to "Secret Paris": the metre was defined by the French Academie des Sciences in 1791 and was intended to replace all units of measure which referenced the human body (the inch, the foot, the ell etc.) (What the ell is that last one you cry - just looked it up, it's the distance between the elbow and the wrist.) Since human bodies vary, the practise had been to take the body of the sovereign as the standard of reference, something unacceptable to those opposed to the idea of monarchy (plus what if you got some wonky monarch with giant flipper feet, where would you be then?) In 1795 the metre was adopted as the official unit of measurement in France, and 16 standard metres were engraved in marble and put throughout Paris in order to familiarise the population with these bad boys (my words, not "Secret Paris"). The one at 36 rue de Vaugirard is the only one still in its original position. And well worth the pilgrimage! Please notice Richard placed there for context. Although I suppose the metre itself could be seen as the context.
Near this marble wonder was a doll repair shop. We had a browse at the terrifying specimens on display inside, some of whom are probably coming to a nightmare near me before too long. I was a bit shy to take photos, so below are some of the windows. There are many shops in Paris with very specific remits: doll repairing, harp selling, comic book shops, old carnival games, African art, cardboard furniture. There aren't high streets here like in the UK, and it seems super artisans' shops like these can still make enough of a living to survive. Vive encore!
3 comments:
More Secret Paris!
Dear Blogger, Your discovery of the metre mark reminded me that there is a yard mark - well, and inch, foot and even Chain length in Trafalgar Square. So I looked it up and behold, there is a Secret London too! But neither of them explain how they arrived at the measurements. In Primary school we used to tell the tale of how it was the king's foot and that carpenters kept being beheaded when they measured beds for different kings and they didn't fit, until they finally clicked. Sadly I can't remember the end of the story - I will have to ask Guli. As to your photograph of Richard supposedly to help imagine the metre, Dad says that all it proves is that Richard is less than a metre wide, which is a relief!
I am relieved you did not touch faded patches on manky old stuffed animals - you could have taken Parisian germs as well as a photo.
Was the platypus flat because the children were leaning on it ha ha? Especially looking forward to your blog while we are away - it will seem even more foreign. Mum xxxxxx
"Secret Paris" is available from Foyles Bookshop.
Post a Comment