Yesterday we went to the Swedish Church, north west of the Champs-Elysees, to see a recorder (flute a bec) concert. We met Alex and Lily beforehand to have tea in the cafe of the Swedish Church. We all agreed it was a really lovely place - very cosy and welcoming, with reasonably priced tea and free biscuits, filled bookshelves, pretty decoration and an atmosphere of friendliness. How great to be Swedish in Paris and have such a nice place to go. There was a large group of young women playing Trivial Pursuits, lots of portraits of honourable looking Swedes and a photo of the attractive royal couple above the tea things.
We'd come to see two friends of Richard's parents playing in a recorder quartet. I really enjoyed their music, especially the Scott Joplin rag that they played. It was interesting seeing all the different types of recorders they kept producing; a few were enormous and one was shaped a bit like a saxophone - a far cry from the primary school ones you could play with your nose. You'd need a sneezing fit to get a peep out of one of these bad boys! When they stood up at the end, we could see that they were all wearing black, with white cuffs and collars, matching the recorders. The only downer was leaving behind my new earmuffs, which I made a mess of describing over the phone today, and which I'm fast losing hope of recovering... no insinuations, but Sweden is very cold after all...
If we were slightly on the outside of things at the Swedish Church cafe, the same could not be said of our next stop: The Highlander, your Scottish pub in Paris. We went there to meet some people from Langue Onze and have a bash at the weekly pub quiz. We came second! Out of four, but still. To celebrate here is an approximation of a question I got right:
What animal has the following varieties: Leghorn, Rhode Island Red and Ancona?
4 comments:
Is it "deer"?
A chicken!?!/Rooster!?!
It is the chicken! Els, your virtual prize is a big foam hand.
Joy see you soon hurrah!
Thanks lovely blog - everything you write about and describe seems so very foreign - it is great. I KNEW it was species bird of the fowl variety - so there Ells - however I note that there is nothing like a little competition to get your fans commenting! I am not worried about your earmuffs - from Swedes in particular who are brilliant about dealing with the cold - but the thought of you trying to explain earmuffs to a non-English speaking person was fun! I am afraid your superhero is too sweet - one would rather take him home and tuck him up with a boiled egg and soldiers than entrust the saving of the world to him! XXXXXXXXXX
Post a Comment